- This event has passed.
HW3: Mucogingival Microsurgery (Hands-On Workshop)
November 2, 2019 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Program Track: Periodontal Plastic and Soft Tissue Surgery
E. Todd Scheyer
Cost: $1,625; limited attendance; lunch included
Microscope-assisted periodontal therapy was introduced in the early ‘90s. The existing evidence supports the benefits and superiority of outcomes when utilizing the operating microscope (OM) for surgical periodontal therapy geared toward regenerative and root coverage procedures.
Surgical procedures performed to correct or eliminate anatomic, developmental, or traumatic deformities on the gingiva or the alveolar mucosa benefit from the improved visual acuity and enhanced precise and delicate tissue manipulation afforded by the magnification and illumination inherent to the OM.
- Review historic background and rationale of the utilization of the OM in mucogingival microsurgical procedures.
- Provide an opportunity to establish a solid foundation to enhance performance and efficiency when utilizing the OM in mucogingival microsurgical procedures.
- Offer tools that can be translated into the application of microsurgical principles in the daily periodontal practice focused on mucogingival therapy.
- Develop practical exercises that will increase dexterity and operational economy while using the OM.
- Grasp how to implement the adoption of the OM with the surgical assistants and other team members of the periodontal practice.