- This event has passed.
Clinical and Basic Science Symposium Sponsored by District 8
November 2, 2019 @ 8:00 am - 11:00 am
Maj. Lizandre Belanger
Periodontics Resident, Air Force: Omega 3 Fatty Acid DHA Reduces High Glucose-Induced CSF-1 and RAGE Expressions in Breast Cancer Cells: Identification of Therapeutic Targets in Diabetes-Induced Breast Cancer Metastasis
Capt. Derick Mayberry
Periodontics Resident, Air Force: Increased Osteoblastic Expression of Colony Stimulating Factor 1 (CSF-1) by Advanced Glycation End-Products (AGES): A Mechanism of Diabetic Bone Fragility
Capt. Hillary Key
Periodontics Resident, Air Force: Radiographic Distance from the Cemento-Enamel Junction to the Alveolar Crest in Periodontal Health
Maj. Michael Luna
Periodontics Resident, Air Force: Genes Expressed in the Development of Epithelial Attachment
Maj. Daniel Brockway
Periodontics Resident, Army: Comparison of Two Different Alveolar Ridge Preservation Techniques
Capt. Anthony Vargas
Periodontics Resident, Army: Time of Exposure: A Major Factor in the Attachment of Oral Bacteria to Titanium
Maj. Alicia Choi
Periodontics Resident, Army: Nd:YAG Laser Irradiation for Ridge Preservation and Immediate Implant Procedures
Capt. James Wilson
Periodontics Resident, Army: Frequency of Adequate Mesiodistal Space for Dental Implant Placement at Human Anterior Tooth Positions: An Observational Study Utilizing Cone-Beam Computed Tomography
Periodontics Resident, Veterans Affairs: Evaluation of Soft Tissue Closure for Ridge Preservation Using Bioactive and Resorbable Calcium Apatite Crystal Bone Graft Compared to E-PTFE Membrane with Cortico-Cancellous Bone by Means of Digital Planimetry
Owais A. Farooqi
Periodontist, Department of Veterans Affairs: Developing Consensus for Opioid Prescriptions for Post Procedural Dental Pain Management
Lt. Cmdr. Elizabeth Polak
Periodontics Resident, Navy: Extraction Site Preservation Using Porcine Collagen with FDBA versus Human Amnion Chorion Membrane with FDBA: A Randomized Clinical Trial
Owais A. Farooqi
All registered participants are welcome to attend.
Periodontics residents from the Veterans Administration, Army, Air Force, and Navy will provide 10-minute presentations on their clinical and basic science research. The presentations cover a wide variety of topics, and each speaker will have five minutes to answer questions following the presentation.
- Identify the possible links between breast cancer, bone metastasis, and metabolic disorders such as diabetes; gather evidence leading to future research avenues and hopefully low-risk, low-cost preventive measures.
- Identify the effect of AGEs on the expression of colony stimulating factor 1 in osteoblasts. Demonstrate if any observed effects are mediated via the mitogen-activated protein kinases signaling pathway.
- Describe the mean radiographic cementoenamel junction (CEJ) to alveolar crest (AC) distance in periodontally healthy young adults and understand how this distance may vary based upon tooth type and location.
- Determine the localization of genes expressed from the cluster of secreted calcium-binding phosphoproteins, basement membrane-associated proteins, and intermediate filament proteins in epithelial derived tissues throughout tooth development.
- Evaluate the difference between dPTFE and amnion chorion tissue membranes, and review quantitative results of overlay grafting.
- Consider the relevance of previous studies on implant failure, realistic exposure times, and implications of overuse and misuse of antibiotics in implant dentistry.
- Describe the rationale for ridge preservation procedures, including uses and advantages of Nd:YAG laser use and cellular effects of Nd:YAG laser irradiation reported in in vitro studies.
- Define the minimum recommended facial bone thickness adjacent to dental implants, optimum implant position, and alveolar bone volume needs for conventional dental implant placement.
- Recognize soft tissue healing in ridge preservation procedures using bioactive and resorbable calcium apatite crystal bone graft compared to E-PTFE membrane with cortico-cancellous bone.
- Discuss the modified Delphi method of developing consensus on opioid prescriptions, and outline the recommendations of expert-panel regarding optimum quantities of opioids which may be prescribed after dental surgical procedures, including periodontal surgical procedures.
- Evaluate the outcomes of porcine collagen with FDBA vs. human amnion chorion membrane with FDBA for ridge preservation.